From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation, profiles/ mess.
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 23:00:34
1 >>>>> On Tue, 29 Nov 2016, Robin H Johnson wrote:
2
3 > TL;DR: Let's replace profiles/**/ChangeLog with profiles/ChangeLog,
4 > because it's a mess.
5
6 > I'm writing the new changelog generation code [1][2], and I'm
7 > wondering if we can clean up the mess that we have in profiles/.
8
9 > The existing Portage egencache --update-changelogs command does NOT
10 > generate any ChangeLogs for profiles/ (or eclasses, licenses,
11 > scripts, metadata, toplevel skel.*).
12
13 I'd say keep it simple:
14 - one ChangeLog for each package dir,
15 - one ChangeLog for each first-level subdir other than categories
16 (i.e. eclass, licenses, profiles, etc.),
17 - no ChangeLog for category dirs (they contain only a single metadata.xml),
18 - top-level ChangeLog for anything not covered by the other ChangeLogs.
19
20 Ulrich