From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Just some Feedback
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 07:12:24
1 On Saturday 24 August 2002 23:00, Jan Schubert wrote:
2
3 > And the most important thing: Why is there no vi(m) included in the
4 > base-system? For many advanced users this is the only usable editor, i
5 > had some problems using nano...
6
7 Well search the mailing list archives, we've had that discussion but don't ask
8 me why they don't include vi after that. (not vim of course it really is
9 quite big) but the "original vi" would suffice for an installation. Space is
10 no argument then and after all gentoo is aimed at power users which should
11 all be familiar with vi as it is the one editor you'll get in every *nix
12 (just not gentoo :( ). First thing I do after having emerge at hand is
13 emerging vi(m) so I can really do some file editing. Yes nano _is_ a hassle
14 to use if you're used to vi. Sure it can be done and the directions at the
15 bottom are clearly better for ppl not used to unix ... *stop* we've had that
16 discussion :)
19 Alex
22 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
23 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
24 Benjamin Franklin