From: Anthony Floyd <Anthony.Floyd@××××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:32:21
[snip]
>tony@power tony $ time emerge -S zope
[snip]
>real 1m23.409s >user 0m26.580s >sys 0m11.130s
How important is this? Well consider the following on an "old" machine (PP200): # time emerge -S zope [snip] real 6m38.645s user 2m16.580s sys 0m10.930s So, while I agree that this pushes the bounds of patience, I don't want to be required to install MySQL or any other db engine just to run portage. I'm sure many others don't want that other. However, having an optional component, say capable of handling multiple databases and activated with USE flags ... that makes sense. Ideally, optimizing the current system without requiring a massive db engine would be better, though. Just some thoughts. A> -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list