From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 19:29:36
1 On 09/14/2018 01:52 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Wouldn't the flip side of this be demonstrating that this has actually
4 > caused issues? If following upstream discovers no bugs and also
5 > causes no issues, why not leave it to maintainer discretion?
8 We know it causes issues, there are hundreds of bugs about it (bugzilla
9 stops counting at 500 on a search for "Werror").
10
11 No one has answered the question: what do you do when a stable package
12 breaks because of a new warning?
13
14 If there's no answer to that question that doesn't involve making an
15 unofficial in-place downstream-only edit to a piece of code that is (by
16 the opposing argument) intensely security-critical in a stable package,
17 then we're all wasting our time talking about this.