From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] games.eclass
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 21:09:53
1 On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:42:07 -0700
2 "Daniel Campbell (zlg)" <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > Sure, we did drop this, but I don't really see this line of
5 > > argument actually accomplishing anything productive. Creating a
6 > > games team that fixes these issues would be productive. Letting
7 > > others fix them is also productive. Nobody is opposed to having a
8 > > games project - it just seems like nobody cares enough to actually
9 > > make it happen. That's ok - we can still get things done.
10 >
11 > What would be required to revive the games project? One of the reasons
12 > I became a dev was to help out the games team, and if it's defunct, I
13 > want to see what's necessary to fix it. I'm still a new dev (May
14 > 2015), but I wouldn't mind doing some dirty work if it means we can
15 > put squabbles like this behind us and get enough devs together to give
16 > game ebuilds the attention they deserve. I don't have a lot of free
17 > time, but sitting here discussing stuff isn't fixing anything,
18 > either... If I can spend what little Gentoo time I have on fixing
19 > things, I'd be glad to.
20
21 At last, some positivity! As I said before, I would like to work on a
22 few games too. I would certainly take up any Java-based ones and I have
23 four of those in mind already. I've dabbled with ebuilds for many other
24 games in the past, some already in the tree and some not, and some from
25 source, some not. The Humble Bundle games are of particular interest to
26 me. I'm obviously bogged with the more boring Java stuff for the
27 foreseeable future though so as much as I'd like to, stepping up to be
28 a lead would be unwise.
29
30 Do we actually need a team? Games come in all shapes and sizes so I
31 think the assertion that they should be handled like any other
32 application is somewhat valid. Many games are commercial so it's
33 likely that certain games would only be handled by one or two team
34 members anyway. The main thing I've been concerned about in the past is
35 how to handle data. Should it be packaged separately? How do we handle
36 the cdinstall flag these days when there are also multiple online
37 sources like Humble Bundle and GOG? Do we just do whatever seems best
38 for the game in question? I'd be happy to hold such discussions in a
39 distro-wide fashion though.
42 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
43 Gentoo Linux Developer