From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:18:37
1 21.08.2013 14:36, Tom Wijsman пишет:
2 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:54:51 +0400
3 > Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> 21.08.2013 13:13, Tom Wijsman пишет:
6 >>> On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:32:35 +0400
7 >>> Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> 21.08.2013 12:13, Tom Wijsman пишет:
10 >>>>> Recruiting shows to be a hard task; so, the suggestions I am doing
11 >>>>> are assuming that that doesn't work out. In which case, I wonder
12 >>>>> what "by some other ways" you would think of...
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Dropping some keywords to unstable on minor arches.
15 >>>
16 >>> If we grow (like you said below), then doing less seems like a
17 >>> decision that we shouldn't take; it is rather about "doing it
18 >>> different" to use our resources in a better way. Crowd sourcing
19 >>> users is an option here...
20 >>
21 >> What crowd sourcing do you talking about? We have Arch Tester for
22 >> that. Do you see vast interest in this initiative? I think not(thus,
23 >> for major arches we have some amount of testers, some of them are
24 >> became developers lately).
25 >
26 > Yes, it is a large share of users that run ~, they "want to test".
27
28 But it seems that they do not want to become Arch testers and bring
29 things to stable, do not you think?
30
31 >> And if you want to move stabilization checks to unqualified users,
32 >> then it is way to nowhere.
33 >
34 > No, because there would be much more users giving feedback.
35
36 Feedback is good. But if it simple "works for me" without tests on
37 CFLAGS/LDFLAGS respect regression, cross-compile breakage regression or
38 any other regressions, than it is pointless. I would suggest increase
39 number of arch testers... Or, i repeat myself(in infinite time),
40 "recruit more people"
41
42 >>> So, recruiting in the terms of "finding recruits" appears to be
43 >>> hard.
44 >>
45 >> But, at my POV, it is only one way that we can improve current
46 >> situation.
47 >
48 > Sorry, I do not understand (language barrier), do you mean that 1) that
49 > should be the way to improve it or do you mean that 2) this is just one
50 > approach and that we should look at different ones?
53 Yeah, my grammar sucks, i know. So, let's summarize what i mean. To deal
54 with our current problems with arches we have only two ways:
55
56 1) drop some arches to unstable -> lower the burden to arch teams;
57 2) recruit more arch testers/arch team members;
60 Best regards, Sergey Popov
61 Gentoo developer
62 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
63 Gentoo Qt project lead
64 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead