From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] x86-build
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 01:11:57
1 Hey all, I just finished building a system with the build iso and wanted
2 to share my install instructions with everyone.
3
4 First off, hats of to Daniel, Achim and everyone else whose
5 contributions went into making this the best Gentoo installation that
6 I've had to date.
7
8 Second, any mistakes in the following docs are mine and mine alone.
9
10 Third, while this'll be lengthy on slower machines, you can have a
11 perfectly functioning Gentoo system running instead of waiting for
12 the generic i486 version (for the impatient)...
13
14 So, here goes:
15
16 1. burn and boot cdrom
17 2. log in as root with "enter" for the password
18 3. configure network
19 a. cd /etc/rc.d/config
20 b. cp appropriate OFF_inet.*eth0 file to inet.eth0
21 (I use dhcp b/c of my cable modem, so I copied
22 OFF_inet.dhcp_eth0 to inet.eth0) -- also, I had to modify the
23 file and add the -h option to the dhcpcd command line -- YMMV
24 depending on broadband provider
25 c. edit /etc/resolv.conf w/appropriate values
26 4. prepare the harddisk you'll be installing on with fdisk and mk*fs
27 a. you can follow the i686-exclusive instructions for more details
28 5. mkdir /build (this will be the directory you chroot to)
29 a. if you configured multiple partitions, you'll need to mkdir them
30 (for example, I created /, /boot, /usr, /var, /tmp, /opt and
31 /home as different filesystems, so I did a "mkdir /usr /var /tmp
32 /opt /boot /home")
33 b. if /tmp is a separate fs, remember to "chmod 1777 /build/tmp"
34 6. mount filesystems under /build
35 a. mount whatever will be / first
36 b. follow-up with remaining filesystems
37 7. unpack bootstrap tarball
38 a. cd /mnt/cdrom/gentoo
39 b. tar --numeric-owner -xvjpf build-ix86-*.tar.bz2 -C /build
40 8. setup chroot /etc/resolv.conf
41 a. cp /etc/resolv.conf /build/etc/resolv.conf
42 9. chroot
43 a. chroot /build /bin/bash
44 10. update and source environment
45 a. env-update
46 b. source /etc/profile
47 11. grab the portage tree
48 a. emerge rsync
49 12. create basic devices
50 a. cd /dev
51 b. MAKEDEV generic-i386
52 13. configure make.conf
53 a. vi /etc/make.conf
54 b. change CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to desired values
55 14. compile bootstrap tools
56 a. cd /usr/portage
57 b. cp /usr/portages/files/bootstrap-xxxxxxxx.packages .
58 (I chose bootstrap-20010617.packages)
59 c. ./bootstrap.sh bootstrap-xxxxxxxx.packages
60 15. configure make.conf again
61 a. vi /etc/make.conf
62 b. change USE to desired value
63 16. create the base system
64 a. emerge system
65 b. find something to keep you occupied for a while
66 (I recommend "Star Wars-Super Bombad Racing" for the PS2)
67 17. make a kernel
68 a. cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/linux-sources
69 b. emerge linux-source-xxxxxx.ebuild
70 (I chose linux-sources-2.4.4.9)
71 c. follow instructions from i686-exclusive for exacting details
72 18. edit /etc/fstab
73 a. follow instructions from i686-exclusive
74 19. create timezone file
75 a. follow instructions from i686-exclusive
76 20. create /etc/hostname
77 a. follow instructions from i686-exclusive
78 21. change /etc/resolv.conf if needed
79 a. follow instructions from i686-exclusive
80 22. create /etc/hosts
81 a. follow instructions from i686-exclusive
82 23. configure network settings
83 a. follow instructions from i686-exclusive
84 (this should basically be a repeat from when you started down
85 this yellow-brick road)
86 24. configure basic settings
87 a. follow instructions from i686-exclusive
88 25. configure grub
89 a. follow instructions from i686-exclusive
90 26. create rc.* symbolic links
91 a. rc-update autogen normal
92 b. rc-update autogen boot
93 c. rc-update autogen halt
94
95 Okay, I think that's about it. I'm sorry I refered to the
96 i686-exclusive docs so much. But they're accurate and applicable. I
97 also wanted to show that there's not much difference between the two
98 processes.
99
100 If you have any questions about these instructions, please drop me an
101 e-mail.
102
103 Also, if I've missed anything obvious or if anyone has any
104 additions/corrections, please post them to the gentoo-dev list for
105 everyone's edification.
106
107 Happy Gentoo'ing...
108
109 --Jerry
110
111 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
112 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
113 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
114 || than that!