From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for June 11
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 08:16:46
1 Nirbheek Chauhan a écrit :
2 > The x11 team[1] came to the conclusion that following RedHat's lead
3 > and just using MIT as license for Xorg packages should suffice since
4 > they are quite careful about these things. This should definitely be
5 > better than the current practice anyway.
6
7 That's indeed my plan. All the X packages I've checked in Fedora's cvs
8 have MIT as the license. I think this will definitely help clean up
9 gentoo-x86/license.
10
11 As long as we all agree that LICENSE is only informational (ie, we try
12 to do our best but comes with no guarantee). For the record, even simple
13 X packages such as libs and/or protos may have 2 or more
14 similar-but-not-identical license headers in various files, dozens of
15 copyright holders.
16
17 So anyone doing _serious_ license work on X packages shouldn't even rely
18 on what we currently provide as those licenses may not reflect the
19 actual license of all files in our packages.
20
21 Bottom line, everyone considers them to be MIT/X11 which seems to be
22 fairly accurate.
23
24 My plan is to go over each package as time permits, check the license
25 and then make the x-modular eclass set the default license to MIT
26 instead of ${PN}.
27
28 I could definitely use a hand to check all those packages :)
29
30 Cheers,
31
32 Rémi