From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 16:39:15
1 On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 22/08/16 16:58, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >>
4 >> it looks like app-emulation/docker expects /etc/hostname to exist.
5 >>
6 >> On Gentoo, this file does not exist, so I'm wondering how we can make it
7 >> exist?
8 >>
9 >> I know in OpenRC I can read it and use the value there as the hostname
10 >> instead of /etc/conf.d/hostname if it exists,but I'm not sure whether
11 >> OpenRC should populate /etc/hostname if it does not exist or whether
12 >> something else should do that.
13 >>
14 > Sym-link it perhaps? Making another file could make synchronisation, etc
15 > a headache....
18 Systemd has generally been going the route of symlinking files like
19 these to files in /run. That might be an approach that would work for
20 openrc as well. It also eliminates giving write-access to /etc to
21 things like dhcpd.
24 Rich