From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Three teir portage: stable, prestable, unstable?
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:43:51
1 On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 20:49, Ian Leitch wrote:
2 > OK, so say something was done and from now on all devs only submited
3 > packages to ~arch that they deemed stable but whos ebuild could do with
4 > some more testing. Where does that leave the beta and alpha software
5 > that a lot of Gentoo users love so much (myself included)? Places like
6 > BreakMyGentoo would only become bigger and more breakage would incur
7 > from the lack of QA.
8
9 No breakage occurs because they use alpha/beta quality software (ok and
10 their ebuilds are of mediocre quality in my opionon), you can't AQ
11 (assure quality) of something in heavy development.
12
13 Unlike some popular believe I'm not all against repositories like BMG
14 where stuff i can't possibly put in the tree is supplied to users
15 wanting to try some beta quality app, as long as it doesn't end in
16 excesses where it is cool to build a whole system from cvs HEAD. And i
17 strongly suggest against using lower libs/core apps not from the Gentoo
18 tree as they can easily affect the stability/integrity of a complete
19 install that results in hard to track bugs for us in some cases.
20
21 > If we had an unstable branch, devs would be able to
22 > keep up Gentoo's repretation of being a bleeding edge meta-distribution.
23
24 Bleeding stable edge, I think this was more aimed at the likes of Debian
25 where stable is stable as can be, but terribly outdated. We're still a
26 meta-distro, nothing to do with stableness. We're trying to be a serious
27 distro here, that is not supplying known broken stuff to the masses.
28
29 And as far as Gentoo's current reputation goes with various upstream
30 devs : we still have a lot to work on and i don't think supplying
31 alpha/beta/cvs in our mainline is gonna help.
32
33 > At the same time we could offer alpha gnome releases within our control.
34 > Ofcourse a plan to combat the extra pointless bug reports would need to
35 > be thought about, but I see that as a small side effect compared to the
36 > benefits.
37
38 What benefits exactly ? Do we have to act according to a label that got
39 wrongly put on Gentoo as a distro?
40
41 I expect much more bugreports to be generated when providing alpha/beta
42 stuff, that would probably double the amount of bug reports (rough
43 estimate). Those are all bugs we can do little about only move them
44 upstream creating a huge amount of insolvable bugs for us. Our herd
45 teams are too small to handle that, we're not like Debian where every
46 single package has dedicated maintainers and even there unstable stuff
47 doesn't enter stable ever.
48
49 - foser
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list