From: Simon Keimer <skeimer@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Serious: XFree halts system with some C++ codes running (in particular, Diffpack) on SMP kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r7
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:08:52
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 hello Denis,
5
6 I had the same problem some time ago, together with the nvidia guys, I found
7 that the issue is a memory leak in the X libs.
8 Adding
9
10 Option "NoRenderAccel" "true"
11
12 to your XF86Config's Device section should fix that for now.
13
14 Note: This does not disable the 3D-, only the 2D rendering-acceleration
15 (that's what they told me)
18 > Hello,
19 >
20 > I have a very freaky problem here. I recently ran a few major updates,
21 > such as glibc, threading libraries, some other libraries, and XFree86
22 > 4.2.1. Now the C++ codes that I have to run (in a package called
23 > Diffpack) invoke total system halt. Screen turns off and goes into
24 > power-save mode, and hard-drive light comes up. All daemons hang (i can
25 > no longer ssh to my PC after such crash). With the older X, 4.2.0, I
26 > observed the same kind of system halt, but it was not as frequent as it is
27 > now. Now, the code runs for several minutes, and the system crashes.
28 >
29 > When I booted in TEXT mode, without starting X, this problem DID NOT
30 > OCCUR!!!! I have no idea what to do. I got Nvidia GeForce3 chipset in my
31 > system, and I use nvidia's GLX and kernel modules provided with Gentoo. I
32 > can provide my XF86Config file to anyone who'd be willing to look at it.
33 > I disabled DPMS in the extensions module, but the problem persists. I
34 > wonder if there are other extension modules I should disable. I also use
35 > the option "NvAGP" "1", but I have crashes without it just the same.
36 >
37 > The codes are run remotely on my machine by one of the users via SSH.
38 >
39 > This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this. Ever since I
40 > installed Gentoo in August 2002, I had not a single major problem!
41 >
42 > System details: 2 2.2 GHz Intel Xeons with hyperthreading technology,
43 > Tyan motherboard, 2 IDE Western Digital hard-drives, nVidia GeForce3
44 > chipset on ASUS V8200 card. I have 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 kernel with SMP
45 > enabled (never had any problems with the kernel before). XFree 4.2.1,
46 > latest glibc, and other libraries relating to C and C++.
47 >
48 > ANY help would be greatly appreciated!! I really have no idea what to do
49 > and I really do not have time to try to solve this on my own!!
50 >
51 > Thank you in advance!
52 > Denis
55 > --
56 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
57
58 - --
59
60 Simon Keimer
61 skeimer@×××.net
62
63 Help fighting the software patents delusion!
64 http://petition.eurolinux.org/
75 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list