From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild design issue regarding some {I need the lib and api only}-DEPENDs
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:09:28
1 On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:13:56 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | You're a bit vague in the 'die in pkg_setup' bit; if you're
4 | referencing doing the changes now, and sticking a die in, I already
5 | explicitly stated the responsible party would need a wedgie if it was
6 | done; the "lets check for use flags on our deps in pkg_setup" is evil
7 | as hell, and *only* should be used when absolutely explicitly
8 | required. iow, wait for use deps unless you've got some damn good
9 | reason to fall back to the kludge while waiting.
10
11 For how many years have we been waiting for USE deps? I'd say that this
12 discussion is pretty much pointless. In the distant future when we do
13 get USE deps we'll no doubt have a whole different set of issues to
14 figure out.
15
16 | > We can't have client and server USE flags
17 | > because the meaning is totally different for every package.
18 | Meh, I disagree without counter examples provided of where
19 | client/server breaks down as a global use flag :)
20
21 Pretty much every case. It would never make sense to tinker with server
22 or client at a global level, so they'd be inappropriate as a global USE
23 flag.
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm