From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 09:23:44
1 On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > I think that anybody that really cares about security should be
3 > running in custom mode anyway, and should just re-sign anything they
4 > want to run.  Custom mode lets you clear every single key in the
5 > system from the vendor on down, and gives you the ability to ensure
6 > the system only boots stuff you want it to.
7
8 I have several questions, that hopefully someone familiar with UEFI
9 Secure Boot is able to answer. If I understand UEFI correctly, the
10 user will need to not just re-sign bootloaders, but also the
11 OS-neutral drivers (e.g., UEFI GOP), which are hardware-specific, and
12 will be probably signed with Microsoft keys, since the hardware vendor
13 would otherwise need to implement expensive key security measures — is
14 that correct? If the user does not perform this procedure (due to its
15 complexity and/or lack of tools automating the process), is it
16 possible for an externally connected device to compromise the system
17 by supplying a Microsoft-signed blob directly to the UEFI firmware,
18 circumventing the (Linux) OS? Is it possible to develop an automatic
19 re-signing tool — i.e., does the API support all needed features
20 (listing / extracting drivers, revoking keys, adding keys, etc.)?
23 Maxim Kammerer
24 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte