From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:32:07
1 Am Donnerstag, 5. April 2007 20:20 schrieb Mike Doty:
2 > Torsten Veller wrote:
3 > > * Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>:
4 > >> apparent decline of QA in our packages.
5 > >
6 > > Why do you want this to be a council topic if it wasn't even a
7 > > topic here or on gentoo-qa@ ?
8 >
9 > Because our QA sucks and noone is doing a damn thing about it.
10 I disagree. The QA team is doing a lot of work.
11
12 * Mr_Bones still runs QA checks on the whole tree daily and people are
13 still scared if he pops up and pastes his repoman/pquery output.
14
15 * Tove still looks out for anything obviously wrong, and he's quite good
16 at constantly buggering people about it.
17
18 * Other people including myself run different (selected) kinds of QA
19 checks on a case by case basis and usually fix the affected parts of
20 the tree, and sometimes nobody but the maintainers notice that.
21
22 * You don't need to be a member of the "QA project/team" to do QA. I say
23 this here, but i think that should be self-evident.
24
25 * Antarus and spb are preparing to take actions against at least one
26 persistent QA offender, and devrel told them how to do it properly.
27
28 * QA team, one of its subprojects to be precise, has recently published
29 the draft for Package Manager Specifications.
30
31 * The work of our QA team is mostly under the hood (and i don't mean
32 sekrit by that!), and that's how it should be done imho. Naturally
33 this can mean that people think they aren't working at all if they
34 don't see flamewars and/or big announcements/blog entries on how they
35 fixed QA problem X. I prefer a silent QA team personally.
36
37 * There is at least one outstanding QA issue that i know of which is
38 related to Portage and can't be fixed w/o slot deps properly.
39 Read: KDE's problems with ranged deps and the way it currently
40 breaks the vdb's RDEPEND entries, especially regarding qt and kdelibs.
41
42 * There is a _lot_ of minor QA stuff on bugs.g.o, and everybody (not
43 only QA team members) are invited to work on it. The only prerequisite
44 for helping with it is: "Know what you do. If you don't, learn it."
45
46 * QA _starts_ by such minor things as whitespace problems or proper
47 ChangeLog entries, so there is enough work for everybody out there to
48 help with!
49
50 If anybody is interested, i can provide you (this is all gentoo ebuild
51 devs*) either with lists of QA problems in the tree to fix, or with
52 tools that enable you to search for one particular (kind of) QA
53 violation in the whole tree, whatever your prefer.
54
55 Danny
56
57 *I'm only adressing gentoo devs here as patches against the whole tree
58 don't make sense. The tree changes to fast for it.
59 --
60 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
61 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
62 --
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list