From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git braindump: 1 of N: merging & git signing
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 16:29:16
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > Again, we don't need to be there 100% to go live.  However, I think
3 > that was the whole point of signing commits.  If we aren't going to
4 > add any assurance at all with our signing practices, then there isn't
5 > much point in having them.
6
7 True. However, I still think my idea of security (the tip of tree must
8 always be signed by a gentoo.org committer) and your idea of security
9 (every cset must be signed by a gentoo.org committer) give similar
10 security guarantees in the end. Any user will rely on the last
11 committer to have faithfully signed for an uncompromised tree. Any
12 committer will rely on the previous committer to have faithfully
13 signed for an uncompromised tree. So to prevent your scenario, we'd
14 have to get everyone to check the signature of the tip of tree they
15 pulled before committing/merging. Having every cset signed is
16 something that might make verification slightly easier, but having all
17 previous tips signed (i.e. merges) should be sufficient (if we can
18 rely on committers to review changesets from other committers they
19 pull from).
20
21 Cheers,
22