From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Daniel Campbell (zlg)" <zlg@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mirroring Gentoo project/team members on GitHub
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 07:43:52
1 Dnia 2015-08-13, o godz. 00:35:39
2 "Daniel Campbell (zlg)" <zlg@g.o> napisał(a):
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 08/11/2015 07:32 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
8 > > Hello, everyone.
9 > >
10 > > Now that we're officially on git and can officially use pull
11 > > requests to provide rapid community interaction, it'd be convenient
12 > > to have a little better framework for pinging package maintainers.
13 > >
14 > > With the unofficial mirror/pull request project, I was either
15 > > looking for project member GitHub accounts and pinging found
16 > > project members by name, or talking to them directly on IRC.
17 > > However, with the growth in number of pull requests this will
18 > > become more and more inconvenient. Therefore, I think it's time to
19 > > be able to mirror teams willing to work with GitHub community there
20 > > for easier 'pings'.
21 > >
22 > > I have two ideas right now:
23 > >
24 > > 1. creating GitHub Gentoo project teams corresponding to willing
25 > > Gentoo teams,
26 > >
27 > > 2. preparing lists of GitHub usernames on project wiki pages.
28 > >
29 > > Solution 1. is cleaner. In this case, we create GitHub teams under
30 > > the Gentoo projects, and add appropriate Gentoo developers having
31 > > GitHub accounts to the teams. Then, in PRs we can just ping the
32 > > whole team like @Gentoo/Qt or like.
33 > >
34 > > Solution 2. avoids adding any GitHub teams. In this case, in team
35 > > wiki page we collect team member usernames like "@Pesa,
36 > > @kensington, ..." so we could copy-paste it to pull requests. We
37 > > still require extra effort when 'assigning' PRs but at least I
38 > > don't have to lookup the same people over and over again.
39 > >
40 > > With some Wiki people help, we could even implement updating
41 > > GitHub teams automatically following Wiki member changes.
42 > >
43 > > Your thoughts?
46 > Sounds good, but my GitHub nick doesn't match my dev nick, and that
47 > nick is taken on GitHub. What do?
48
49 Like most of the developers. Don't worry, we'll find you if you are in
50 the organization. If you're not, we'd probably keep looking by surname.
53 Best regards,
54 Michał Górny
55 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>