From: Ian Delaney <idella4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC News item: FFmpeg default
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 08:20:54
1 On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 07:13:16 +0800
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 6 April 2015 at 17:35, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2015-04-06, o godz. 14:10:12
6 > > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> On 30 March 2015 at 00:23, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 > >> > Dnia 2015-03-30, o godz. 00:07:16
10 > >> >
11 > >> > Include example code.
12 > >> >
13 > >>
14 > >> Updated version:
15 > >>
16 > >> Title: FFmpeg default
17 > >> Author: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
18 > >> Content-Type: text/plain
19 > >> Posted: 2015-04-07
20 > >> Revision: 1
21 > >> News-Item-Format: 1.0
22 > >> Display-If-Installed: media-video/ffmpeg
23 > >> Display-If-Installed: media-video/libav
24 > >>
25 > >> Since the choice between ffmpeg and libav has been made more
26 > >> explicit, there has been a lot of discussion about what the
27 > >> default implementation should be. It can be concluded that
28 > >> media-video/ffmpeg has wider support, and would be somewhat
29 > >> more convenient for most end-users.
30 > >>
31 > >> For this reason the default implementation has been switched
32 > >> back from media-video/libav to media-video/ffmpeg by removing
33 > >> the libav useflag from the base profile.
34 > >
35 > > 'Switched back' is suggesting there was some 'unintentional' switch
36 > > from ffmpeg to libav. Keep this free of politics, and just
37 > > 'switched'.
38 >
39 > No, it does not suggest that. It simply reflects the history of the
40 > issue: once upon a time we had ffmpeg. Then libav was introduced and
41 > at some point made the default implementation. Now we are switching
42 > back to ffmpeg as default implementation. There is no politics in my
43 > statement.
46 > > This is off-topic, and strongly biased.
47 >
48 > The original statement may give the impression that mpv is to libav
49 > what mplayer is to ffmpeg. Many users were surprised to find out that
50 > mpv upstream actually recommends ffmpeg, and that some of mpv's
51 > features do not work with libav. If we are going to specifically
52 > recommend mpv, then it is something users need to be aware of.
53 >
54 > We could change it to: media-video/mpv works with both ffmpeg and
55 > libav, though some of its features require ffmpeg. Or something along
56 > those lines.
57 >
58 > >> Please do not alter the state of 'libav' flag on a per-package
59 > >> basis (e.g. via package.use). The flag needs to be set globally to
60 > >> have
61 > >
62 > > FYI: since Council's meeting in one week, I have added this to
63 > > the agenda. I'm really concerned about Gentoo's PR when users suffer
64 > > due to developers ping-ponging implementations/defaults.
67 > It's not so much ping-ponging as stumbling upon what is the best
68 > solution for our users. Some years ago libav was made a soft default.
69 > And if I recall correctly, that was done with very little discussion.
70 > Recently this default was made harder by adding USE=libav to the base
71 > profile. This resulted in quite a backlash from users.
72 >
73 > Moreover, many upstreams of consuming packages actually prefer ffmpeg.
74 > Add to that the upstream ffmpeg policy of merging in changes from
75 > libav.
76 >
77 > All in all, from an end-user point of view it makes more sense to have
78 > ffmpeg as default. And when users were asked, they overwhelmingly
79 > expressed support for changing the default to ffmpeg.
80 >
81 > I see no reason to stick with libav as default, except political
82 > (which I'm trying to avoid here).
85 +1
88 kind regards
89