From: mudler <mudler@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Testing Gentoo with openQA
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 19:38:59
1 On 04/02/2018 11:16, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > 2018-02-03 13:16 GMT+01:00 mudler <mudler@g.o>:
3 >
4 >> Hi everyone,
7 >> This is an idea that has been floating around already, as some of you
8 >> already know, openQA [1] is a project that provides the ability to fully
9 >> test O.S.
10 >>
11 > Being used to routinely build Gentoo profiles, this idea is one of the
12 > first to pop up, indeed.
15 >> I'd like to bring openQA to Gentoo, and start using it for both testing,
16 >> and maybe, if promising at it seems, using it to automatize even more
17 >> our testing workflow and help stabilization processes.
18 >>
19 > simply Great.
20
21 Glad to hear that!
25 >> I'm creating a new project for this, the aim is first to provide ebuilds
26 >> for openQA, and meanwhile writing test cases that can be used to test
27 >> Gentoo inside it. As i see it, it would be really helpful exp. regarding
28 >> testing DEs and track back regressions as well [2], it offers also
29 >> integrations with bugzilla.
30 >>
31 > One of the first things noticed when trying to achieve full testing is that
32 > it's a gigantic work. Suse seem to have a really good framework that
33 > surely costed a lot to build.
34 > How much can be reused of that work?
35
36 I would say approx ~30% of test codebase could be reused, but this is
37 just my personal estimation.
40 > What are the differences, in features and building blocks expected for a
41 > gentoo implementation?
42
43 I don't see any big changes in the structure - rather of writing tests
44 that suits more on our needs.
45 But baby steps, i would be happy to see for now a test that from a
46 stage3 bootstraps a DE environment correctly.
47 What i see will be more complicated is trying to abstract tests that
48 expect different results from different useflags combinations.
52 >> Development plan and goals will be updated to the Project page soon [3]
55 >> What do you think?
58 > That's a difficult objective worth the effort to achieve it
59
60 I definitely agree
64 >> Best,
65 >>