From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:29:06
1 On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:49:00 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hello
5 >
6 > I am a bit surprised handbook still doesn't suggest people to
7 > create a separate partition for /usr/portage tree. I remember my
8 > first Gentoo systems had it inside / and that lead to a lot of
9 > fragmentation, much slower "emerge -pvuDN world" (I benchmarked it
10 > when I changed my partitioning scheme to put /usr/portage) separate
11 > and a lot of disk space lost (I remember portage tree reached
12 > around 3 GB of disk space while I am now running with 300MB)
13 >
14 > Could handbook suggest people to put /usr/portage on a different
15 > partition then? The only doubt I have is what filesystem would be
16 > better for it, in my case I am using reiserfs with tail enabled,
17 > but maybe you have other different setups.
18 >
19 > Thanks for discussing this :)
20
21 not gonna happen, for reasons that SwifT & others already mentioned.
22 this is the sort of non-simple, non-trivial text/info/instructions
23 that would be better suited to an "optimizing your FS layout" article
24 on the gentoo wiki, or similar.