From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RANT: Upgrade icu and KDE at once
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:03:04
1 On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > I haven't ran revdep-rebuild for a year, you can set
3 > FEATURES="preserve-libs" which will preserve any libs, once libs are
4 > being preserved you can then get rid of them by doing an `emerge
5 > @preserved-rebuild` whenever you feel like as opposed to when
6 > something breaks. It's not a default yet, but will probably be so...
7
8 I believe there have been concerns with @preserved-rebuild sometimes
9 causing problems.
10
11 I think there is probably still a place for it, even in a world where
12 everybody uses slot operator dependencies. Upgrading a large
13 collection of packages takes time, and it might even fail midway. It
14 would still be nice to have the system maintain the old libraries
15 until the entire process is completed.
16
17 I'm sure there are one-offs that I'm not thinking of, but I think
18 we're better off finding a solution for those one-offs than giving up
19 the benefits of deferred library removal. For security items an
20 update to glsa-check to find vulnerable lingering remains of removed
21 packages might help address concerns.
22
23 Rich