From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Quantity of open bugs
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:13:42
1 On 20:25 Thu 10 Mar , Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I was nosing through bugzilla, and noticed:
5 >
6 > * Number of open bugs is greater than 14,000
7 > * Number of open bugs untouched for more than 2 years - well over 2000.
8 > * Number of open bugs untouched between 1 and 2 years - well over 2000.
9 > * Number of open bugs untouched between 6 months and 1 year - well over
10 > 2000.
11 > * Number of open bugs untouched between 3 months and 6 months - over
14 > The winner is bug #78406, which hasn't been touched for over 2240 days
15 > - over 6 years - at the time of writing.
16 >
17 > I would guess these old untouched bugs aren't actually going to be
18 > touched, ever - a lot simply won't be relevant any more for one reason
19 > or another. All they're doing is cluttering up bugzilla.
22 > So I'd like to suggest a drastic, perhaps controversial action. Mark
23 > all bugs that haven't been touched for over (say) 3 months as
24 > "Resolved:Wontfix", with a polite comment saying that it is closed due
25 > to lack of resource amongst the volunteer developer community.
26
27 I do come back to bugs after years. They should not be closed if they
28 are not fixed. "WONTFIX" for me means that there was a decision made
29 that this will not be fixed, but that is not the case.
30
31 +1 for the argument that 14000 open bugs is not a problem. Bugzilla is
32 not something that needs to be clean and tidy. Closing them would
33 generate a lot of work because of false positive while there is zero
34 benefit.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Thomas
38
39 > sure a suitable bugzilla script wiz could do that relatively easily.
40 > Users who care about such bugs can still comment on them, or talk
41 > directly to the assigned dev to highlight it's still a relevant issue
42 > to them, or even to supply a solution against the current tree.
43 >
44 > It could be an ongoing policy, in which case, users who care about
45 > them can keep bugs alive simply by posting useful updates to the bug,
46 > describing how the issue still applies to a new revision for example.
47 >
48 > Just a thought from an old ex-dev...
49 >
50 > Kev.
56 Thomas Kahle
57 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tomka/