From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 05:39:19
1 On 22 August 2013 01:19, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Is there an alternative? afaik a profile can be either stable,dev or
4 >> exp. I can't see how we can implement something between
5 >> stable and dev. And what would that represent? It may or may not be
6 >> stable? If this is the case, then I believe ~arch is more preferred.
7 >
8 > I haven't read much into it, but Fedora has a concept of "Secondary
9 > Architectures." I think it would make sense if we could keep stable
10 > keywords for them, but not prevent maintainers from needing to wait on
11 > them to stabilize other packages.
12
13 I don't see how that would work. You can't remove older versions
14 unless a newer one is stabilized, or you'd break the tree.
15
16 One option I see is to limit the amount of packages with stable
17 keywords to a select list, e.g. @system and closely related packages,
18 and refuse stable keywords for GUI toolkits and their desktop reverse
19 dependencies and the like.
20
21 Ago is doing a fantastic job, but it would be good to lower his
22 work-load and reduce the bus factor problem.
25 Cheers,
26
27 Ben | yngwin
28 Gentoo developer