From: Grant Goodyear <goodyea@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Secure Gentoo - What do you think?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:50:56
1 > .plan:
2 > * Play around with Portage, get to know it properly
3 > * Select the packages that are to be installed in the base 'secure' system
4 > * Sort out the differences between the standard Gentoo packages and my packages
5 > * Make .ebuild files for the packages that are missing (libsafe, LIDS etc.)
6
7 Makes good sense, especially the first item! If you give us some
8 examples of how your secure packages will differ from our standard
9 ebuilds, once you get there, we can probably help.
10
11 > And how do you think the whole thing should be implemented? Will it be with a
12 > USE variable? Would I then have to alter every one of the .ebuild files
13 > available to respect the USE variable?
14
15 Use variables (along with a unique profile) are almost certainly the
16 right way to go about it. Only ebuilds that need different
17 functionality would then need the new USE variable. Presumably the
18 KDE/GNOME ebuilds, for example, should never need to be touched.
19
20 > I'm thinking I could solve the problem of which packages to include by having a
21 > 'use secure (or whatever) && die "This package is not supported in the secure
22 > distro [blah blah]"' directive in the packages that won't be included (like
23 > XFree86, KDE, Gnome, etc.).
24
25 Nah. You set up the default packages to install in your
26 profile/packages file. If people want to install unsupported packages
27 you can either just let them do so, or I'm sure that Drobbins can figure
28 out a reasonable way of making sure that if /etc/make.profile points to
29 your secure distribution then only those packages in
30 /etc/make.profile/packages would be allowed by portage.
31
32 Best,
33 g2boojum
34 --
36 | Grant Goodyear | The Secrets of Physics: |
37 | Dept. of Chemistry - Clemson U |1. Add zero. |
38 | Clemson, SC 29634 |2. Multiply by one. |
39 |-------------------------------------|3. Expand in a Taylor series|
40 |e-mail: goodyea@×××××××.edu |4. Integrate by parts. |
41 |www:g2.ces.clemson.edu/~grant |5. Fourier transform. |
42 | |6. Add auxiliary variables |