From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:59:17
1 On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Despite that... the answer is already here:
3 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem/index.html
4 >
5 >> Gentoo does not consider the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard to be an
6 >> authoritative standard, although much of our policy coincides with
7 >> it.
8 >
9 > So this is not really something the council has to decide on, unless
10 > you propose to change that policy altogether.
11
12 As far as what the new policy should be goes, a lot has developed in
13 the linux world post-FHS. The biggest one is the whole /usr-move
14 direction that many distros seem to generally be moving in. Vertical
15 integration complements this (making booting without /usr a
16 challenge). Initramfs has also come along and has basically turned
17 into a userspace bootloader of sorts.
18
19 The whole config-files-in-/usr thing is also driven by this, and also
20 by the desire of distros to avoid something like etc-update. We do
21 the same thing with make.defaults, which doesn't go in etc (though to
22 be fair it is linked from there, sort-of).
23
24 The general direction of projects like systemd, the /usr-move, config
25 files in /usr, and so on fix real problems on most distros. I think
26 one of the challenges for Gentoo is that many of these problems are
27 ones that Gentoo has already fixed, somewhat. So, for us it isn't
28 about moving from a gaping hole into a workable solution, but moving
29 from one solution we're already accustomed to into another new
30 solution that might or might not be somewhat better, and which likely
31 involves some tradeoffs. For anybody using a non-dependency-aware
32 service manager systemd is a huge improvement, for an openrc user the
33 benefits really aren't that dramatic, though I suspect for laptop
34 users it could be a step up once it matures.
35
36 Gentoo is also not release-oriented, so the /usr-move doesn't really
37 carry the same benefits. If you are release-oriented and have
38 completed the /usr-move then upgrading your distro might be equivalent
39 to symlinking /usr to a zero-seek-time CD drive, and swapping out the
40 disc, kernel, and initramfs.
41
42 I think the real issue for Gentoo is the cost of doing things
43 differently. Right now we're just looking at that in terms of how
44 hard it is to stick a doins in an ebuild, but that is just the
45 starting point. Once you start getting vertical integration then you
46 run into a myriad of things being done differently vs upstream, and
47 that can snowball. You have to ask what we're getting for all of
48 that. Is the world a better place if Gentoo sticks config defaults in
49 /etc/default vs wherever upstream puts them? Is there value in having
50 those defaults clogging your /etc scm or whatever you're using to
51 manage config, when it is already managed by your package manager?
52
53 I'm all for an evolution of FHS that helps address some of these
54 questions, but that really isn't something we can do at the distro
55 level. It would take working WITH all of those newfangled projects
56 that are doing things that annoy us, finding ways to standardize
57 across distros while still giving the binary distros what they need.
58 A distro like Ubuntu isn't going to buy into the concept that
59 etc-update makes their problems moot.
60
61 I think Gentoo needs to stick to being different where being different
62 really adds value. That means rolling releases, flexibility around
63 dependency versioning, control over build-time options, flexibility
64 around system components whenever practical, and so on. We can't
65 really afford to fight WW3 over where some config file gets installed,
66 or what its filename is. We can't afford to build a Gnome3 that works
67 without systemd (at least, not for long), and so on. What we can do
68 is support any forks/clones/etc that have a sustainable community
69 around them (such as eudev, openrc, etc).
70
71 Finally, this is a volunteer distro - contributions get you a lot
72 further than criticism. So, publish all the
73 forks/overlays/alternates/etc you want, and by all means solicit
74 support for them. Once upon a time few ebuilds had systemd units,
75 looking at the tracker now that is mostly limited to packages that
76 I've never heard of. All it takes for an option to remain viable is a
77 few people who care enough to steadily contribute.
78
79 Rich