From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Regarding long delays on GLSA generation
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:35:35
1 El sáb, 18-01-2014 a las 19:19 +0100, Alex Legler escribió:
2 [...]
3 > So you observed correctly there's still plenty of delays. There are
4 > three parts to an advisory that take time:
5 > - Drafting: Collecting information, linking references, getting package
6 > versions done right (slots are a huge pain still).
7 >
8 > - Reviewing: Our current process asks for two independent positive
9 > reviews from other team members before an advisory can be sent.
10 >
11 > - Sending: The original author gets a .txt to email and have to check in
12 > the .xml to CVS.
13 >
14 > Going through these three steps requires at least three people, and the
15 > (group of) people whose action is required shifts twice. That overall
16 > process is spot #1 we are planning to improve. The current plan contains
17 > requiring only one review and the reviewer sends the advisory directly.
18 > So we go from author -> reviewer 1 -> reviewer 2 -> author to just
19 > author -> reviewer.
20
21 This looks a nice improvement indeed :)
24 > Concerning the single steps here are other measures:
25 > - Drafting: Implement a new GLSA format to
26 > * reduce the amount of editorial text written by us
27 > * support slots (makes specifying vulnerable ranges in slotted package
28 > much easier)
29 > * (cleanup old stuff no longer needed)
30
31 That looks interesting as doing all the draft manually is really a huge
32 work (with leads to not so enhancement). I am unsure how will the
33 cleanup be done, as soon as the portage tree doesn't break (due some
34 other package requiring the old buggy version), why are not all devs
35 allowed to drop (or, at least, hardmask if needed for some base-system
36 package :/) the vulnerable versions? Looks like currently security team
37 waits for maintainers to do that, I try to do it fast but maybe will
38 take much more time in other situations. I think this could be improved
39 if other people like security team members or the last one stabilizing
40 the fixed version could do the cleanup too.
41
42 Also, currently looks like, when we (maintainers) get asked to bump the
43 package fixing it, we tend to wait for security team members to CC
44 arches, maybe the maintainers could do that directly to gain a bit of
45 time.
48 > - Reviewing: Reduced editorial text means less to review.
49 >
50 > - Sending: We want to improve our tooling to automatically send
51 > advisories and push them to a git repository.
52 >
53 > The new GLSA format was up for review on -security last week. Next up
54 > will be getting it specified formally, implemented in our tooling,
55 > glsa-check and a new security.g.o frontend. [1]
56 > Then, we can adopt the new workflow.
59 > > Then, instead of blaming on how should I have asked for clarification on
60 > > this (well, looks like the main topic here is that I have asked about
61 > > this in ML instead of the real problem :O), I think you should focus on
62 > > explaining how are you fixing this problem.
63 >
64 > Your original email didn't reflect actual interest in the details. Now
65 > that we've established you do care, I hope my explanations helped you
66 > out there.
69 They helped for sure :) and I appreciate them, I simply thought nothing
70 was being worked out as I explained in previous mail (I was still saying
71 long delays)
72
73 > > I have been long time wondering about this because:
74 > > 1. I usually get lots of bugs from alias I am a member whose we go fast
75 > > bumping, calling for stabilization and dropping vulnerable versions and,
76 > > the, the bugs get stalled.
77 > > 2. Once of the machines I maintain would benefit from being able to use
78 > > glsacheck to only update vulnerable packages as not always have enough
79 > > time for updating the full world
84 > [1] Lots of code to be written here. .py+.rb, help wanted!