From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: 1i5t5.duncan@×××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ROMs category suggestion
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:13:51
1 On 26 July 2012 19:32, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > But you are aware that this is *upstream* naming?
3 >
4 > Similarly, ati-drivers (which is not upstream naming :P)
5 > and nvidia-drivers don't follow the suite.
6
7 I wasn't aware of that, but thats beside the point I was trying to
8 make. Its just a mechanism that allows an appoximation of a 3-tier
9 system without needing a 3-teir system.
10
11 ie: sys-firmware/video/ati approximated as sys-firmware/video-ati ,
12 which seems slighly better than the competing ways of doing it like:
13
14 firmware-video/ati-firmware
15 firmware-video/ati
16
17 and any category name with "Firmware" in it, will result in lots of
18 redundant names exposed to users/deps if the package /also/ has
19 firmware in the name.
20
21 There's also the other thing to consider, and thats there's a lot of
22 hardware related stuff that is similar to firmware in a way, but also
23 totally devoid of a central category for it. Namely, kernel level
24 drivers. ( Which are not /that/ far removed from firmware, considering
25 that you can compile firmware into kernels and they're of similar
26 levels of necessity ).
27
28 We may as well suggest sys-hardware/ and put things like tp_smapi
29 and prism54-firmware all in that one category.
30
31 In essence, the rationale behind having a sys-firmware category for
32 all firmware, but no sys-drivers category for all device
33 drivers/modules seems an oversight.
36 But I think however you do it, the absence of a 3-tier system hamstrings you.
37
38 net-wireless/prism54-firmware ->
39 Alternatives:
40 sys-firmware/prism54-firmware
41 sys-firmware/prism54
42 sys-firmware/wireless-prism54-firmware
43 sys-firmware/wireless-prism54
44 firmware-wireless/prism54-firmware
45 firmware-wireless/prism54
46 sys-hardware/prism54-firmware
47 sys-hardware/wireless-prism54-firmware
48 hardware-wireless/prism54-firmware
51 net-dialup/hsfmodem ->
52 Alternatives:
53 sys-driver/hsfmodem
54 sys-driver/dialup-hsfmodem
55 sys-hardware/hsfmodem
56 sys-hardware/dialup-hsfmodem
57 hardware-dialup/hfsmodem
60 The perk of *not* having 'firmware' in the category name means you can
61 put drivers in the category as-is, and add firmware to the category
62 as-is, without needing to have redundant information. In a
63 sys-hardware/* hardware-$class/* layout, things without "-firmware"
64 are assumed kernel drivers , and things with -firmware are known as
65 firmware.
69 Kent
70
71 perl -e "print substr( \"edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,