From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/init.d/modules loading modules defined in files
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:58:58
1 On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:02:35AM -0400, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > Just a side note on how I currently take advantage of the modules
3 > initscript:
4 >
5 > I have several symlinks, one for each set of modules that I want to
6 > control. Then I create a corresponding conf.d based off of the modules
7 > conf.d. So, for example, /etc/init.d/vbox-modules->/etc/init.d/modules
8 > just controls the vbox modules. This gives me fine control over module
9 > sets without having to worry about all of them at once. I can have
10 > certain sets of modules start in different runlevels, and I can
11 > independently load and unload sets of modules when necessary.
12 >
13 > If you do end up switching to some system that reads a directory, I'd
14 > like to see something that if the name of the initscript isn't modules,
15 > it sources just the corresponding file, rather than the whole dir.
16
17 I'm not planning to kill the current system, just extend it, so what you
18 are doing should still work.
19
20 That gives me an idea to consider writing a separate service to handle
21 this, modules-load-d or something similar.
22
23 Thanks,
24
25 William