From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] common ebuild mistakes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 19:39:32
1 On Friday 23 May 2003 21:15, Martin, Stephen wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > - Please base the update on the latest ebuild in the portage tree, not
4 > > your own version. This is sometimes a problem with people who submit
5 > > updates to a package that they made the initial ebuild for. Those ebuilds
6 > > are often cleaned up, but with new versions you still get the same ebuild
7 > > as the initial one instead of an edited version of the official ebuild
8 > >
9 > > - Please please, do not submit ebuilds for version bumps unless necessary
10 > > and if necessary tell us what changed.
11 >
12 > I've a couple of questions about this. Last night I emerged mplayer and
13 > noticed that aalib didn't get installed even though I had it in USE.
14 > Obviously, fixing this is a trivial change to the RDEPEND section of the
15 > ebuild (aalib is autodetected by mplayer and so no change to $myconf is
16 > necessary). What's the best way to handle small changes like this?
17 > Should I just file a bug and state what needs to be done, or should I
18 > file a bug and attach a diff? Is there a rule of thumb for how large a
19 > change has to be in order to warrant a diff or ebuild?
20
21 It is a matter of personal judgement when to submit full ebuilds, when diffs
22 and when nothing (except a description). By the way, myconf should still be
23 used to explicitly disable aalib if the flag is not present, and specificly
24 enable it if it is. mplayer is a particularly nasty package, it has a great
25 amount of dependencies and apparently aalib slipped through.
26
27 In case an ebuild is rather complex, a diff might be more appropriate as it
28 makes clear where the changes are, but again it is a matter of personal
29 judgement. (Also not all dev's are the same).
30
31 What must allways be present though is a comment on why the made changes are
32 made, and what the possible repercussions could be (if any).
33
34 Paul
37 Paul de Vrieze
38 Researcher