From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-2 stablisation plans
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:38:53
1 This is just a heads up for getting baselayout-2 stable. Next week I
2 plan to put baselayout-2.0.0_rc1 into the tree without any keywords and
3 it will be removed from package.mask (keeping the current alphas masked
4 though). Arch teams will then be pinged on a bug to keyword
5 baselayout-2.
6
7 Now there are, as usual, some daemons and init scripts that probably
8 won't work. For those that don't, I have either fixed or there's patches
9 in our bugzilla. Here's a rough summary.
10
11 Regarding init scripts.
12 Init scripts should now be strictly bourne or POSIX shell. ie, no
13 bashisms. bash init scripts will work, but ONLY if /bin/sh is bash.
14 Shells as /bin/sh that I've tested and found to be working are
15 bash
16 dash
17 busybox
18 zsh
19 FreeBSD sh
20
21 Also, as there's no bashisms, that also means no bash arrays. This
22 includes our net config.
23 config_eth0=( "1.2.3.4/24" "5.6.7.8 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
24 becomes
25 config_eth0="'1.2.3.4/24' '5.6.7.8 netmask 255.255.255.0'"
26 Pay attention to the quoting there.
27 We still support bash arrays if and only if /bin/sh is really bash, so
28 your existing net config should work as is.
29
30 Regarding start-stop-daemon. It will now test to see if the daemon is
31 running after it returns as some daemons love to fork and then error on
32 a bad config. So we trap this. However, there are also some false
33 positives where there is a big gap between forking and writing the
34 pidfile. Examples of this are ntpd (patch in portage) and nscd (part of
35 glibc).
36
37 Also, when running in parallel, we now prefix all output. This looks
38 very pretty on screen and is almost perfect. However, this also comes at
39 a cost - daemons are now expected to close stdin, stdout and stderr
40 after forking like all well written daemons should. Some don't - like
41 gpm (latest rev is patched) and noip (patch in bugs). If they don't,
42 then it will hang rc. Sadly, there isn't much I can do about this.
43
44 Lastly, reiserfs3 and jfs users should comment on bug #116016 to ensure
45 that my proposed patches to the userland tools actually work as I don't
46 use those fs's much aside from basic testing.
47
48 Well, that's about it. It's been a fun journey making baselayout-2 and
49 we're almost at the end of this road :)
50
51 Thanks
52
53 Roy
54
55 PS - Now is a very good time to test it if you're concerned about it
56 running on your obscure arch or use some funky networking foo.
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list