From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] epatch: reject patches with relative paths
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 05:18:42
1 On Thursday, December 30, 2010 21:03:54 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > * Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> schrieb:
3 > > On Thursday, December 30, 2010 20:05:01 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
4 > > > IMHO, in longer terms, all patches should normalized, created w/
5 > > > diff -ruN and applied w/ -p1. Thats how most people do it, so
6 > > > a kind of semi-standard.
7 > >
8 > > not worth developer's time to force it since it poses no practical
9 > > positive benefit to us
10 >
11 > It makes it easier for everyone who'll want to work on these
12 > patches (eg. people besides the actual ebuild maintainers).
13 >
14 > BTW: I'm not proposing to rework all the patches right now,
15 > just set a policy for new ones.
16
17 suggestions are fine, but these arent a requirement we're going to force on
18 developers. i already put together a list of suggestions for people long ago:
19 http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/clean-patches
20
21 > Even you might not like to hear this, Debian is much better at this
22 > point
23
24 i could care less
25
26 > they a patchqueue per each package, which can be applied
27 > fully automatically (w/o additional code in the invididual package
28 > descriptors).
29
30 it'd be trivial to do the same thing in Gentoo, but it doesnt make sense.
31 Debian doesnt maintain a unified package tree of multiple versions.
32 -mike