From: Harald Weiner <Harald.Weiner@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Providing a `service` scripts that speaks OpenRC and systemd
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 02:48:01
1 Duncan posted on 09/29/17 2:08 AM as excerpted:
2
3 > Or are we going to replace rm, and fdisk, and gdisk, and cfdisk, and
4 > cgdisk, and who knows how many other binaries, with "safe" alternatives,
5 > because some gentooer couldn't be bothered to think for a moment whether
6 > a command in some instructions they're following is actually appropriate
7 > to the situation and the environment they're working in?
8
9 Well, I think I understand what you want to say but actually your argument sounds a little bit strange.
10 Gentoo is about choice, right? So a Gentoo user has the ability to choose between
11 OpenRC or SystemD init systems (by the way, many thanks to the Gentoo developers
12 for making this possible). But some developer(s) might provide a package with a wrapper tool
13 so that instead of manual "translation" to your init system, you can just use type $ service <whatever> start
14 And some users might want to use this package. So I do not see the problem, as long as
15 nobody forces you to use the service tool. Actually, it adds a new choice for users: Either they use
16 the service-tool or they invoke their init system commands as they have always done.
17
18 Wouldn't a service-package be a little bit like sys-kernel/genkernel?
19 You may know from the docs that you can call make bzImage, make modules and so on.
20 Or you can (optionally) install sys-kernel/genkernel, configure it once and just call genkernel instead.
21 Nobody forces you to use genkernel and the linux kernel build is always transparent for anybody who
22 wants to use/look into it.
25 Best wishes,
28 Harald Weiner