From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tommy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 15:29:08
1 On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:09:14 +0200
2 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Michał Górny schrieb:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I have prepared a first draft of 'dynamic SLOT' specification. This
8 > > is my proposal in attempt to solve the problem of building packages
9 > > for multiple Python and Ruby versions. It could also be reused for
10 > > multilib.
11 > >
12 > > The spec tries to explain the broad idea, and all problems relevant
13 > > to it. It also lists a few problems which are still unsolved and I
14 > > think they will cause the spec to change after hearing your ideas.
15 > >
16 > > To be honest, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Please don't
17 > > say it doesn't solve all the world problems because it simply won't.
18 > >
19 > > I'm attaching a reStructuredText version of the spec. You can view
20 > > it rendered as a gist[1]. But please keep the replies on the list,
21 > > rather than forking the gist.
22 > >
23 > > [1]:https://gist.github.com/2943774
26 > Since you have not responded to my lines in IRC, i will repeat them
27 > here:
28 >
29 > First: How does the user see, which slots are possible and which ones
30 > are currently active and which are currently not selected?
31
32 Implementation is left to be package-manager specific. I guess colorful
33 output (similar to USE flags) would be enough.
34
35 > Beside that, it seems to solve things pretty similar to the proposed
36 > way in multilib-portage for cross-compiling (which could also be
37 > adapted for multi-slot languages) with different wording and with
38 > additional work for ebuild maintainers. And since my proposal already
39 > uses USE flags, things would not change visually for users of e.g.
40 > ruby or php.
41
42 I'm sad you aren't even trying to listen. Your attempt implies that
43 every single change in targets requires rebuilding all of them. If I
44 weren't using 32-bit libs, and now I want to compile 32-bit wine, I
45 have to recompile most of my libraries for both ABIs. That is
46 a no go for me.
47
48 And adjusting that for other multi-slot languages is pointless. Because
49 they do the same already.
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny