From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 23:11:21
1 On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 05:43:57PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 01/14/2014 05:33 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 04:57:30PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > >> On 01/14/2014 04:37 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > >>>
6 > >>> 2. I would like to see the policy below applied to all arch's [2].
7 > >>
8 > >> [ ] Yup
9 > >> [X] Nope
10 > >
11 > > The reverse of this would be to let maintainers stabilize on all arch's
12 > > after 90 days, then they are allowed to remove all but the latest stable
13 > > version. This isn't good though because maintainers would be stabilizing
14 > > packages on arch's where they can't test.
15 > >
16 > > The stable tree is significantly behind because the arch teams are so
17 > > short staffed, and this prooposal is an attempt to fix that.
18 >
19 > It's attempting to fix a headache with a bullet. The arch teams are
20 > lagging behind, you're annoyed, I get it. Give 'em hell. But don't break
21 > stable to make a point.
22 >
23 > For users, both options are worse than the status quo.
24
25 The first option would start reverting things back to ~ and users would
26 have to unmask them.
27
28 The second option would introduce new things to stable which may not be
29 stable due to not being tested on the arch.
30
31 The second option is worse than the first imo, that's why I didn't
32 propose it first.
33
34 The status quo is not good, because we are forced to keep old, and
35 potentially buggy, versions of software around longer than necessary.
36
37 William