From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] What is happening to the desktops?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:35:01
1 I was checking out the latest in the desktop area (I use a wm,and have for
2 a while, but I like to see what's new and exciting), and the amount of
3 depends getting listed is mind-boggling. For example, the KDE website says
4 there is very little (if any) dependencies..but if certain libs are found it
5 will build support for them..if not, you won't notice. For example-
6 divx4linux? portmap? fam? win32codecs? A lot of this stuff isn't triggered
7 by USE flags, either. I remember a ways back, emerging kde meant arts,qt and
8 the 13 or 15 kde packages..which strangely enough all started with kde*. I
9 rather suspect its the same in GNOME also, but it appears from a glance to a
10 much smaller extent. I realize that it's probably to add more function for
11 the busy or uninitiated, but after reading the previous threads, I too would
12 like to see things closer to vanilla. I remember the frustrations of doing
13 KDE from rpm and thinking stuff like "wtf, I don't want mysql or xanim or
14 xine or OBDC or any of this other crap, I want to see what it looks like
15 bare-bones style".
16
17 I know I'm prolly gonna hear the "if you don't like it, don't build it"
18 attitude at least once, but I'd just like to check something out without
19 building 30 pkgs I wont see just to check out the 15 I will.
22 Chuck Brewer
23 Registered Linux User #284015
24 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.