From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] fixing LICENSE issues without reporting bugs
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:05:36
1 >>>>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
4 >> From the point of view of the licencor, the licence is just as
5 >> important as the code, so there are no trivial licence issues.
6 >> As a trustee, I am unhappy with losing the traceability at all.
7 >> Other trustees may have different opinions.
8
9 But there _are_ trivial cases (e.g., most of the init script issues,
10 bug 425702) where a simple ChangeLog entry would be enough for
11 traceability.
12
13 > Not this one. License issues can vary in severity, and there may be
14 > nuances that an outsider might not appreciate.
15
16 > I think it is best to at least ping the maintainer before switching a
17 > license. If anybody spots a license issue that they believe to be
18 > serious and they don't get a timely response from the maintainer, they
19 > should escalate it. I'd go a step further and request CCing the
20 > trustees from the start on any issue that involves contact from the
21 > copyright holder in any form.
22
23 This can certainly be done. Be prepared for some bug spam, though.
24
25 Ulrich