From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: headch@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 00:06:02
1 On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 12:47:51 -0700
2 Christopher Head <headch@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:03:01 +0300
5 > Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > > 2. I saw on some lists that Gnome/Kde and Xfce plan to use some
8 > > > SystemD API, so does it means that we will need to install SystemD
9 > > > aside of OpenRC ?
10 > >
11 > > For Xfce it only means that xfce4-session will try to query
12 > > credentials also from systemd, not ConsoleKit alone
13 > >
14 > > There are no plans of removing ConsoleKit support for Xfce wrt
15 > > upstream anytime soon since Xfce is committed for long-term BSD
16 > > support, and the Xfce development team includes developers, from eg.
17 > > OpenBSD
18 > >
19 > > > 4. Finally, is there any reason why Gnome/Kde/Xfce wants to add
20 > > > deps related to SystemD ? I don't understand why these desktops
21 > > > want to depend on a specific Sysint....
22 > >
23 > > || ( sys-auth/consolekit sys-apps/systemd ) or something can be done
24 > > if the package tries to query both via DBUS calls
25 > > As in, something needs to tell PolicyKit (polkit) that you are a
26 > > local user and thus grant access to eg. USB removable devices
29 > What about those of us who are perfectly happy using neither one? I’ve
30 > never had any of the Kits installed, and the recommendation has always
31 > been to just put yourself in the “plugdev” group which has worked
32 > fine. Is this going to continue to be possible, or is this going away?
33
34 I can't say whether at some point GNOME wouldn't try hard to force this
35 on us, but it will be still supported one way or another. There are
36 still people (like me) working on alternate solutions, and those people
37 will try hard to keep things working as they like them.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny