From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: god@××××××××.in
Subject: [gentoo-dev] net-irc/xchat
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:28:36
1 Hey list,
2
3 I'm planning to lastrite net-irc/xchat in the next couple of weeks.
4 Unfortunately my hope that upstream development would be resumed didn't come
5 true. As the code becomes more and more outdated, open unfixed security bugs
6 are present[1][2] and at some point in the future =x11-libs/gtk+-2* will
7 vanish from the tree I don't see any other option than removing xchat from the
8 tree.
9 I don't see this as a big drama as we already have a drop-in replacement in
10 form of the net-irc/hexchat fork.
11 I checked this today and all people have to do is emerge hexchat and then copy
12 over the xchat config:
13 mkdir ${HOME}/.config ; cp -a ${HOME}/.xchat2 ${HOME}/.config/hexchat
14
15 I'd like to see your opinion on this matter as long as you have one you'd like
16 to share with me ;)
17 Furthermore I would shift my attention from the xchat package to hexchat
18 seeing that it currently gets proxy maintained. If there's no objection I'd
19 like to become the new contact of the person currently maintaining the package
20 in portage.
21
22 I also planned to release a news through the portage news system as soon as I
23 lastrite xchat so people know how to move over to hexchat. As I never did this
24 before I'd like to have some help concerning this matter. Is there some
25 documentation about portage news?
26
27 Regards
30 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/394657
31 [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/257006
32 --
33 Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C)
34 Gentoo package maintainer and bug-wrangler