From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE=qa-test
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 14:46:46
1 Le mardi 06 octobre 2009 à 20:38 -0600, Ryan Hill a écrit :
2 > Some packages, like dbus[1], have testing features that, while useful for
3 > developers and arch-testers, aren't something that should be foisted on
4 > users. Dbus' case is extreme, as it builds-in functions that are useful for
5 > unit testing, but result in an insecure and unstable package (I just "fixed" a
6 > bunch of testsuite failures i've been seeing in dbus-using packages by
7 > disabling USE=test). Other packages have testsuites that take an unreasonable
8 > amount of time to build/run (db, ppl, boost, that faad/faac one that takes
9 > six hours), are pretty much guaranteed to fail (gcc, binutils), have strange
10 > dependency quirks (can't run the tests unless the package is already
11 > installed, create circular dependencies), or a dozen other situations I can't
12 > think of right now.
13 >
14 > I'd like to propose a new USE flag, qa-test or a better name, to handle these
15 > cases in a consistent way. This would give us a way to differentiate between
16 > tests that everyone should run and tests that only devs and arch-testers
17 > would be interested in, making enabling FEATURES=test by default in a future
18 > EAPI a little more palatable. Use of this flag would be up to the
19 > maintainer, of course.
20
21 while it might sound sane, I think this proposal covers too much cases,
22 most of which should actually be filled as bugs to the maintainers of
23 the packages for not fixing the testsuite (or not filling an upstream
24 bug) before commiting to the tree.
25
26 For gnome ebuilds as someone commented out, the test failure rate is
27 quite stable, and we are slowly trying to get around them, or at least
28 not commiting ebuilds with new regressions in the testsuite.
29
30 Use of RESTRICT="test" shouldn't be encouraged as it disables tests
31 completely while part of them might still work and be relevant.
34 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
35 Gentoo