From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] the state of dev-lang/lua
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 17:44:48
1 On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 02:26:35PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 23. März 2019, 22:23:27 CET schrieb William Hubbs:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > Soon I will be working on fixing up the state of dev-lang/lua, and there
6 > > are a couple of things I want to mention.
7 > >
8 > > The first thing is liblua as a shared library. If you are using lua
9 > > internally in a program, upstream strongly recommends not linking it
10 > > this way; it is supposed to be statically linked into the executable.
11 > > Because of this, and because of the amount of custom patching we do to
12 > > maintain liblua as a shared library, I plan to stop creating the shared
13 > > library.
16 > Please dont. Static linking is a security nightmare.
17 >
18 > I'd much rather consider removing the static library, and fix programs broken
19 > by that. (No matter what silly opinions lua upstream has.)
20
21 Here is what upstream says, so let me know how you interpret it.
22
23 http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html
24
25 Also, there is this in our ebuilds:
26
27 # Using dynamic linked lua is not recommended for performance
28 # reasons. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general/18519
29 # Mainly, this is of concern if your arch is poor with GPRs, like x86
30 # Note that this only affects the interpreter binary (named lua), not the lua
31 # compiler (built statically) nor the lua libraries (both shared and static
32 # are installed)
33
34 It looks like the link is dead, so I don't have any idea what
35 performance issues they are talking about.
36
37 William