From: Anthony Gorecki <agorecki@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The results of an evening of Apache and PAM debugging
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:25:26
1 On Tuesday, June 14, 2005 2:44 pm, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > You know that the "normal" way of doing this is to use ldap and krb5
3
4 In my opinion, LDAP, by design, is a piece of garbage. I understand the
5 principle of its design, however I've never found that design to be
6 beneficial for my needs. Before I made the switch to a MySQL-backed database
7 to store the account information, I was using OpenLDAP; it just couldn't do
8 the job.
11 > pam_ldap, mod_auth_pam, apache2, and mod_dav_svn seem to not be able to
12 > work together reliably. There is some kind of strange issue there that's
13 > very hard to diagnose. Using direct ldap authentication does work.
14
15 It's not the user authentication that's the problem, but rather that NSVS
16 denies shadow access (appropriately) even though I don't personally need that
17 requirement. I think, after a night's rest and a bit of thought, that I'll
18 just add a USE flag to the NSVS ebuild to allow users to patch out that
19 built-in restriction.
23 Anthony Gorecki
24 Ectro-Linux Foundation