From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:08:20
1 On 10/07/17 20:53, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3 >> For what it's worth, Jack Morgan was recently getting his sparc and
4 >> ia64 systems back up, but then decided to retire instead when he saw
5 >> all of the discussions about dropping the architectures he cares
6 >> about.
7 >>
8 > Honestly, I don't really get this sort of thing. The reason arches
9 > get dropped is because they mark things stable that they can't keep up
10 > with. If an arch never marked a package as stable nobody would be
11 > bothered. If they only marked a few critical packages as stable and
12 > then kept up with them, again nobody would be bothered. The conflict
13 > comes in when an arch team marks packages as stable, but then doesn't
14 > keep up with them.
15 >
16 > Marking a package as stable is a two-way commitment. When an arch
17 > team marks a package as stable they make a promise to the maintainer
18 > to stabilize updates in a timely manner. In return the maintainer
19 > promises to keep older versions around to suit the needs of the arch
20 > team for the short time it takes to do these stabilizations.
21 >
22 > When an arch team stabilizes something that they don't have time to
23 > maintain then they're making a promise they can't keep, and the deal
24 > breaks down. Eventually the maintainers complain, and the council
25 > ends up revoking the right of the arch team to hold the maintainers to
26 > their side of the deal which has already been broken.
27 >
28 > There are no bad guys here. There is just a certain amount of work it
29 > takes to make a stable arch viable, and it either happens or it
30 > doesn't. Most people who use Gentoo are tinkerers by nature. All
31 > things being equal we'd love to see every arch supported. However,
32 > this requires discipline on the part of the arch team, because
33 > otherwise an arch that few people use starts impacting work for other
34 > arches that many more use as maintainers get buried in old bugs.
35 >
36 I dunno where you've been lately, Rich, but for most devs, would-be
37 devs, and observers .. there -are- no arch teams left .. just a few Arch
38 devs, or arch 'people' ..
39
40 This is why stabilisation, if not for individual package maintainers on
41 amd64, has become a joke, save for Ago's efforts, and recent efforts by
42 kensington to streamline the effort for the likes of ago with his bot,
43 and one or two other arch stabilisers (who I know exist, but not by name
44 or nick).
45
46 There is no, and has not been, in the time I've been involved with
47 Gentoo, any "pact" or "contract" between arch teams/devs and maintainers
48 whatsoever, anything is only ever done as a 'favour' or if someone
49 nudges the AT after the appropriate bug has been filed.
50
51 Keywording, unless for your own native arch, is a worse joke .. you have
52 to do it yourself .. there just aren't people with the less common
53 arches actively seeking packages out to keyword.
54
55 So, even for me, Thank You Ago for the packages you've kindly fixed
56 where I have nudged you, and also maekke on the few arm packages where
57 you have done the same. Your efforts are noted by some, pity not by others.