From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Can we get PIE on all SUID binaries by default, por favor?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:23:19
1 Hello Jason,
2
3 Il giorno lun, 23/01/2012 alle 20.08 +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld ha
4 scritto:
5
6 > So I recently published this: http://blog.zx2c4.com/749 , a local priv
7 > escalation.
8
9 I've seen the news :)
10
11 > It doesn't work on Fedora because their /bin/su is compiled with
12 > -pie. (They don't compile gpasswd with -pie though, so they're still
13 > vulnerable.)
14
15 Is it because of PIE alone or ASLR? Just curious it doesn't make much
16 difference to me.
17
18 > In any case, what if we made it a policy in Gentoo to compile all SUID
19 > binaries with PIE, to prevent against any types of future attacks of
20 > this variety?
21
22 Here's the trick: it's hard to decide what to compile PIE and what not
23 because we generally don't split the build for the two. I guess a good
24 point here could be made to build _everything_ PIE, but it can be tricky
25 (at least hotot seem not to work on a PIE system).
26
27 It would be also a good idea to resume working on the file-based
28 capabilities, dropping suid altogether.
29
30 The main issue here: it's not just my call to make; toolchain and
31 council should probably chime in on this.
34 Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o>
35 Gentoo Linux