From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:33:49
1 On Tuesday 17 February 2004 12:17, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > We won't be adding versions of XFree86 with the 1.1 license [1] to the
3 > tree, so don't be surprised when 4.3.99.903 doesn't show up with the new
4 > license.
5 >
6 > I won't elaborate on the reasons because it's been discussed quite
7 > thoroughly in other forums.
8
9 I hate to kick a dead horse, but...
10
11 I've read all the reasons and understand them and don't wish to dispute them,
12 but I do have one small question. What's the difference between this
13 situation and the GPL'd Linux kernel "linking" against functions in the
14 close-sourced BIOS, ACPI, APM, etc, etc?
15
16 Regards,
17 Jason Stubbs
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list