From: Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] subversion.eclass
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:39:26
1 Doug Klima wrote:
2 > Doug Klima wrote:
3 >> Doug Klima wrote:
4 >>> Doug Klima wrote:
5 >>>> Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
6 >>>>> For quite a while the KDE herd has had a modified version of
7 >>>>> subversion.eclass in the kde overlay. During that time we have
8 >>>>> added the following features to the eclass which we would like to
9 >>>>> put back in gentoo-x86 soon. Since the changes are fairly
10 >>>>> extensive we decided to send it to this list for review first.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> 1) ESVN_REVISION (before this people had to use ESVN_OPTIONS for
13 >>>>> this purpose).
14 >>>>> 2) ESVN_OFFLINE which disables svn up.
15 >>>>> 3) ESVN_UP_FREQ which uses GNU find to determine if the specified
16 >>>>> number of hours has passed and only do svn up if it has. This is
17 >>>>> currently used in the kde4svn-meta eclass for split kde ebuilds
18 >>>>> that use the same checkout of each module.
19 >>>>> 4) ESCM_LOGDIR for logging which revisions packages get installed
20 >>>>> with. See [1]. Users need to explicitly enable this feature to use
21 >>>>> it.
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> Other than this the eclass has been documented for use with
24 >>>>> eclass-manpages.
25 >>>>>
26 >>>>> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/54233
27 >>>>>
28 >>>>>
29 >>>> ok. Well zlin and I have been talking lately and we've hammered out
30 >>>> his proposed changes and mine. I'm attaching a patch for the first
31 >>>> set of changes I have proposed.
32 >>>>
33 >>>> Attached is a patch for the following:
34 >>>> - use $ECLASS
35 >>>> - adding rsync to deps
36 >>>> - fixing some quoting
37 >>>> - remove multiple subshell calls and problematic to upper usage
38 >>>> (bug #s escape me right now)
39 >>>> - provide some more information about the working copy that will be
40 >>>> used in the future.
41 >>>> - supporting svn switch
42 >>>>
43 >>>> The most important being the svn switch functionality.
44 >>>>
45 >>>> Please review for commit.
46 >>> And the eclass-manpages documentation broken out into it's own patch.
47 >>>
48 >>> Please review for commit.
49 >> Here's a patch that implements the ESVN_REVISION variable. It finally
50 >> removes all the problematic to_upper usage. It builds off the
51 >> previous patches that make the official way for an ebuild to pass the
52 >> revision it wants via the ESVN_REPO_URI. It ewarn's if an ebuild
53 >> tries to stick a revision into ESVN_OPTIONS. It prints out the
54 >> revision that it's going to be pulling. This was the issue I had with
55 >> zlin's original patch since it would break for the MythTV ebuilds
56 >> since we request the revision in the ebuild.
57 > Here's another patch in the series.
58 >
59 > This patch will skip running svn update when it's unnecessary.
60 > Basically if your local working copy is the same URI and same
61 > revision, it won't run svn update which should speed up emerge times
62 > for those svn KDE users that specify a revision they're looking to
63 > use. Also MythTV users that re-emerge with different use flags.
64 The following patch makes changes to where the svn checkouts are stored.
65 This will fix the issue where for example:
66
67 mytharchive, mythdvd, mythvideo, mythweather are all stored in
68 http://svn.mythtv/svn/trunk/mythplugins
69
70 the KDE team has similar issues with their split out ebuilds and are
71 currently solving the issues by calling "private" subversion.eclass
72
73 Giving the ebuild and eclass programmer full control over the
74 ESVN_PROJECT path will allow for these hacks to disappear.

subversion-project-05.patch text/x-patch