From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/freetype: freetype-2.4.11-r1.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 11:08:48
1 On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:05:58 +0100
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This is just my own view on this and NOT complete, Tommy[D] will
5 > probably have a more complete list what the eclasses currently lack
6 > and where they will fail.
7 > Mgorny will have a more complete list why multilib-portage is a bad
8 > hack.
11 > PM level:
12 > pro:
13 > - one-blow solution, tree-wide
14 > - _much_ less modification on ebuilds needed
15 > - will be properly documented in the spec, something people can
16 > rely on
17 > - multilib-portage has years of experience on ABI issues
18 > con:
19 > - difficult to maintain (please count the number of people who
20 > understand portage code)
21 > - slower fixes
22 > - still no merge into mainline in sight, could very well take
23 > another few months, if at all
24
25 - suboptimal (run all the src_* phases twice)
26 - from what i've understood it does not deal with nolib packages
27 properly: what happens for eg coreutils or texlive-latexextra ? Do we
28 unpack, build and install them twice ? Really ? Try to install
29 tl-latexextra on a 5400rpm laptop disk, you'll see you do not want
30 that time to double :)
31 - the spec will likely include specificities: e.g.
32 setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH
33 what happens if I want a multilib ocaml install (stupid idea btw but
34 that's an example): the pkgconfig equivalent for ocaml is findlib.
35 You will likely want to override OCAMLFIND_CONF for doing a multilib
36 install. You will need to change the spec.
37
38 > eclass level:
39 > pro:
40 > - easier to maintain (eclasses are generally easy understandable)
41 > - quicker to fix and to extend
42 > - solution is NOW available
43 > con:
44 > - more likely to break stuff as all eclass based solutions, because
45 > there are no eclass-APIs and no spec
46
47 if done correctly this should not happen, but that's true the eapi
48 barrier is not there.
49
50 > - needs much more modification on ebuilds, especially for weird
51 > build systems
52
53 the eclass you proposed implements more or less the multilib-portage
54 solution without much changes. if you want to do it cleanly (out of
55 source build, etc) then yes you need much more changes but also get
56 something you cannot do from the PM side.
57
58 > - not tree-wide, slow per-package migration
59
60 it is a pro rather than a con for me: do we really want lib32 to be the
61 32bits copy of lib64? or do we want here only what actually makes
62 sense, on a per-package and per-need basis? (see also the tl-latexextra
63 example above)
64
65 Alexis.