From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: killing mediawiki
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 16:52:47
1 >>>>> On Fri, 6 Jul 2018, Kent Fredric wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:32:20 -0500
4 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5
6 >> I looked at this first, and it is very hard on the server.
7 >> Every pull or clone you do to update things works like an initial
8 >> clone, so it takes pretty massive resources.
9
10 > Surely, then the recommended approach involves:
11
12 > 1. Selecting pages [1]
13 > 2. Limiting clone depth [2]
14
15 > Or at least, encouraging the use of by_rev [3]
16
17 That will change it from being completely unusable to barely usable.
18 Still it isn't something I would want to use on a daily basis.
19
20 I have tried it when helping with the conversion of the GLEPs.
21 For fetching only, so I don't know what would happen when trying to
22 push a page back to the wiki.
23
24 Ulrich
25