From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Lifting the HOMEPAGE requirement for ebuilds
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:34:04
1 Michał Górny posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2013 15:24:02 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > Right now an attempt to commit an ebuild with no HOMEPAGE results in:
6 >
7 > HOMEPAGE.missing 1
8 > app-admin/eselect-sh/eselect-sh-0.4.ebuild
9 >
10 > Note: use --include-dev (-d) to check dependencies for 'dev' profiles
11 >
12 > Please fix these important QA issues first.
13 >
14 > Why is this considered an 'important QA issue'? Does the policy really
15 > say that if something doesn't have a homepage, we're supposed to put
16 > garbage in there?
17
18 How does something not have a homepage? If upstream is gone, then by
19 definition, gentoo's the "upstream" as we're distributing it, so
20 gentoo.org becomes the homepage.
21
22 (I've always thought there should be a special page for this purpose on
23 the gentoo site, more or less like the package version of a 404 error,
24 explaining that for this package upstream is dead, so as the distributor,
25 we're now the homepage, that would distinguish this case from proper
26 gentoo projects and avoid this question coming up occasionally as it
27 seems to, but...)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman