From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] A canonical source for QA Policies
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 19:27:18
1 Currently, to the best of my understanding, QA policies are spelt out
2 scattered amongst the devmanual.
5 This makes it very hard to:
6 - Know what policies are in place
7 - Know how to conform to each policy
8 - Cite a given policy
9 - Interpret a given policy unambiguously.
10
11 Most of the dev-manual is written in the context of "If problem/task X
12 -> do Y"
13
14 But that doesn't really help for policy documentation.
15
16 For policies to be effective, I feel we need something more like a list
17 of policies, with numerical identifiers, with a short description of
18 the policy (Similar to a GLEP title), which links to a document
19 outlining what that policy means in detail.
20
21 ie:
22
23 [P-0001] Non-maintainer commits
24 [P-0002] Maintainer assignment
25
26 etc.
27
28 Policies that are no longer "current" could be retained, but marked
29 "inactive" ( meaning that the policy is no longer in effect, with the
30 potential for a policy to be reinstated ), or policies could be marked
31 as "tentative", where they're in semi-draft status and are trending
32 towards enforcement.
33
34 The hope here is that when a policy is violated, a clear citation can
35 be made for which policy was violated.
36
37 As it stands, it seems to be more like "read the whole dev manual
38 again", "try googling the dev manual and get lucky", and sometimes
39 "wring your hands over what the dev manual might say", or "ask QA to
40 tell you what the policies are".
41
42 None of these are ideal.