From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LLVM project needs help!
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 18:10:13
1 On Fri, 2022-02-11 at 09:40 -0800, A Schenck wrote:
2 > On 2/10/22 15:36, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > As you may have noticed, I'm practically maintaining LLVM all by myself.
6 > > This is a really tedious, time consuming and ungrateful task, and I'm
7 > > pretty close to burnout. I'd really appreciate some help.
8 > >
9 > > The problem with LLVM that it's a really huge, rapidly moving forward
10 > > (and breaking things) project. It needs frequent testing as regressions
11 > > happen frequently, and we have a good chance of having somebody else fix
12 > > it if we report them early. At the same time, testing takes a lot of
13 > > time. While ccache is pretty much a must, it doesn't help much long
14 > > term as the code is changing frequently and invalidating the cache.
15 > >
16 > > On top of this, there's almost-overlapping release process and Gentoo
17 > > slotting that's working so-so at best. After I've pushed LLVM 13.0.1
18 > > final, I've had to immediately start testing 14.x and barely managed to
19 > > get some fixes in before rc1. Now 14.0.0 is expected soon,
20 > > simultaneously major changes are happening on the main branch
21 > > (i.e. 15.x) that also need testing and adjusting the ebuilds to.
22 > >
23 > > I barely manage to keep up with amd64 multilib. Other arches are likely
24 > > to be broken. Some specific projects that need help are:
25 > >
26 > > 1. Compiler-RT (particularly sanitizers, fuzzer etc.) -- they break
27 > > quite often on glibc upgrades. Miraculously, right now 13.0.1
28 > > and 14.0.0 are clean right now but I'm pretty sure we'll see a new glibc
29 > > release soon and they're going to require fixing again.
30 > >
31 > > 2. OpenMP -- there are many test regressions on every release, and 14.x
32 > > is particularly bad. I have no clue about this package, the test output
33 > > is usually cryptic and I don't really have the time to look into it.
34 > > Honestly, at this point I would gladly have last rited it if it hadn't
35 > > had revdeps.
36 > >
37 > > 3. LLDB -- while it mostly works and I've managed to fix the worst of
38 > > it, I still haven't managed to get the test suite fully working. What's
39 > > even worse, the test runner just hangs at the very end and I have
40 > > no clue why or how to debug that.
41 > You've probly already thought of this but this is when strace comes to
42 > mind. Is it truly hanging in own code, or waiting on something to change
43 > in the system that isn't happening?
44
45 I don't recall anymore, I haven't had time to try again in a while.
46 AFAIR it was the test runner hanging after all tests are done.
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny