From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 01:17:17
1 On 14/02/20 19:48, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
2 >> And now you're changing the subject. You've just claimed that *your*
3 >> user's group ownership will be overwritten and when challenged you
4 >> present the case of *system* user's group ownership being overwritten.
5 > Actually, he showed the rewrite of **system** user (that was modified
6 > locally).
7 >
8 > And, as it already mentioned above, this behaviour violates Gentoo Philosophy
9 > of not pretending to be smarter than user and don't dictate them a way to go.
10 >
11 > So, if the problem is only in the existance of the bug, I can create it
12 > tomorrow morning.
13 > But it would be great to know that it wont be closed in a minute after with
14 > "WONTFIX, works as expected".
15 >
16 > Also, as already stated, changing the stuff that was modified by user is
17 > **prohibited**.
18 >
19 > P.S. I don't care about your relations with whissi, but let's back to the
20 > topic:
21 >
22 > [big red letters]
23 > We should **NEVER** ever rewrite any system configuration made by local system
24 > administrator (call it "user" or whatever). Dixi.
25 > [/big red letters]
26 >
27 > Modification of system users and groups are also covered by that user.
28 >
29 > So, we, actually don't need any changes to disable acct-* things at all and
30 > make users to manage all the things by themselves.
31 > We need a change that will prevent any changes over **already existing** user.
32 >
33 > I think we should make it in a manner like:
34 > 1) when we install acct-pkg for a first time - CONFIG_PROTECT changes, and let
35 > user to review.
36 > 2) when we **reinstall** same package - do **nothing**. Although, I'm not sure
37 > here:
38 > on the one hand, why should we bother users by merging changes they already
39 > did before,
40 > on the other hand, it can be useful way to reset to defaults in case if "all
41 > this stuff is screwed up".
42 > 3) when we upgrade acct-package (assuming there was changes) - only allow
43 > "positive" changes (group additions), but not negative (dropiing groups), and
44 > anyway CONFIG_PROTECT all the changes.
47 > Well, there is also "kludgy way": does not globally reimplement anything, but:
48 > 1) force CFGPROTECT
49 > 2) perform a "light" modification to only perform "positive" modifications
50 > (see above) on users/groups, but no "negatives".
51 > It will anyway fix the both issues Whissi and OP had.
52 >
53 There is a filthy hack which works around all this nonsense .. throw all
54 acct-* packages in a Package.Provided entry, and mask installation of any
55 other versions ..
56
57 *runs and hides*